Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Departure


(This is an expanded version of an earlier FB posting)

I have just returned to Casa Azul in Yelapa after dropping off my best friend/wife Diana at the airport to begin her latest adventure al norte. Her energies will be apportioned between her sister in Los Angeles, her parents and younger sister in Palm Desert and her two adult children (one of whom-Katherine is expecting the first grandchild in mid-August) in San Diego. There will be countless hours spent cajoling her adult sibs into whatever projects they're avoiding, hour upon hour of dueling televisions on full tilt from opposite ends of her parent’s home all topped by her daughter's request that mom be her birth coach and attend classes and the delivery with her. Life will be busy.

Nikki, our English Shepherd, and I will remain in Yelapa until early August before trekking north. The mid-summer heat/humidity will become oppressive but we are seasoned veterans and will survive (define survival). Those of you caused to spend time away from a spouse or even recently experienced a departure understand well the intensity attracted to the early hours of being solo. I clomped up our stairs to the front door this evening. There was a pair of small sandals waiting at the top, in addition, a paper-thin pink petal from a nearby flowering tree had dropped onto our mat. I flashed upon the frailty I felt in my relationship and as a human in general. Did I express the most sincere of tones in my last "I love you?" Might that parting hug have been just a little longer to convey the proper meaning? I wasn’t sure.

Nikki, as always, was delighted to see me yet her eyes quickly communicated that the number of people returning was not the same as the number who had departed earlier that morning. It's complicated. She and I will journey through the next few months knowing that we are two thirds complete and that will be "ok." Que le vaya bien querida, que le vaya bien.
When a partner is absent, even temporarily, we make subtle alterations to our lives. The bath towels last twice as long as I alternate between the two daily. Dishes are washed every other day but not until their accumulated presence on the counter infers that two souls are in residence (i.e. two wine glasses, two dinner plates, etc.) I will play music which my spouse enjoyed less than I. I will have that additional last glass of wine while Nikki remains a little closer a little longer. The bathroom door no longer requires closing. Prior to Diana’s departure, I told her warmly that I would miss her five times each day: 1) a hug in the morning; 2) breakfast 3) lunch 4) dinner 5) a hug at night. She seemed strangely, to me, less than moved. Perhaps it was the fact that 60% of the times that I would miss her related to meal creation and service. The kid is sharp! That’s one of many reasons why I love her. 

Commercial Break
Flash!!! Flash!!! summer rates are now in effect:
single-- 100p/hour; 250p half day (3 hours)
double- 150p/hour; 400p half day (3 hours)

Multi-day/extended stay rates available upon request. Visit Memo at the playita or call ahead (cell) 322 146 5046. Happy paddling.

No comments:

Post a Comment