Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Rain




Yelapa was taunted the prior two nights with the beginning of the rainy season. Each delivered sprinkles, a minor light show and cool morning temps. For a village which hasn’t seen moisture since last September, this is an event worth celebrating. Last night, the real thing landed. Intermittently, for nearly four hours, we experienced rain, lightening, thunder and a light show that would surpass any stateside 4th of July celebration. Villagers knew “la lluvia” had returned.


Like any event in a small community, it demands discussion. During birria this morning at Shambhala, the topic absorbed every word of every moment. Invariably, the discourse drifted to where were you when the “big one” hit? Allow me to respond. The storm moved in roughly 9:15 pm ish. Nikki and I were contemplating a movie on the rent-a channel but nothing seeming to jump out. In the Bay of Banderas, incoming storms afford the observer a certain predictability. From the moment you observe the first lightening (relampago) and its associated thunder (trueno), there is generally a ten minute interval until the rain begins. This is rumored to relate to an ancient contract regarding the early indigenous peoples of Cabo Corrientes so that they could safely return their pangas to shore. No one seems certain.

The storm in question followed the prescribed procedure. By 9:30 pm it was into full tilt. Lightening, thunder and rain merged, disaggregated and merged again for the ensuing four hours. Now that’s a typical Yelapa rain storm. I have never experienced lightening and its twin, thunder as we have it here. The flashes continue to outline a portion of the horizon for a half minute of so. Brother thunder enters the arena seamlessly and crescendos to a point of nuclear detonation. At each of these intersections an enormous globe of moisture opens further.

This is not an event which endears itself to the canine populace. Nikki, our English Shepherd, typically seeks shelter at the first flash, forget waiting for the certain thunder to follow. However, last night was slightly different. We both retired early. As the storm played out across the sky; Nikki and I settled. Fifteen, maybe twenty minutes passed and I was drifting off when BAM, an incoming rocket of electricity nailed some piece of damp turf to the front of our casita. While I must have levitated nearly a foot, Nikki burrowed beneath the terra cotta tile.

Upon departing Casa Azul this morning, I noticed the array of greens adorning the trees and brush along my path. The rains deleted all prior evidence of dirt resident for months. The rocks, which promoters reference as romantic cobble stones, shone as if individually buffed.

I greeted my friends at Shambhala. We shared the ritual of birria rica together. The calmness of the bay, the morning sounds of the jungle and a humming bird dancing effortlessly all reminded me of why I live here. The mounting humidity reminded me of why I depart for a few months. It was a good day to be a Yelapan!  

Commercial Break

Worried about kayaking in the rain, don’t. All the pangas are taller than you are just keep your paddle low. Summer rates are in effect, even greater discounts for multi-day rentals. Text me, Memo, for availability at 322 146 5064 (cell). Happy paddling.

1 comment:

  1. When is the best time to visit? Here in Fargo, the worst time is let's say, Januaryr.....you see, it's so bad I can't even spell it anymore. When there is three feet of snow on the ground and it is 25 degrees below zero, I would like to run away. It is usually late Dec., all of Jan and Feb. Something tropical sure sounds nice those times. And I've never been kayaking. Send me more info.

    ReplyDelete