Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Unplugged



I sense, nay hope, that many of my readers remember what life was like BPC (before personal computers). My ancient generation recalls the twelve page annual calendar as well as the Day Runner. Both granted Type A personalities an opportunity to scribe current and future endeavors in documentary fashion. Undoubtedly, these devices now occupy some wooden drawer in the bowels of the Smithsonian Institute. 

Mid-morning, this past week, I receive a phone call from my Yelapa brother. We chat politely and then he informs me that we “need to talk about business.” I’m good, second cup of coffee in hand, most, if not all cylinders, are at least close to firing. He conveys that his wife’s laptop died while she was stateside and she wishes to borrow one, (mine), for the better part of four business days (9a.m. to 5p.m.). I can have the item back at night, if I like. In the spirit of brotherly affection, plus armed with the knowledge that his wife does have real work to do, I reply “no problem.” 

Before participating in this laptop loan program, my computer habits were ritualized as follows: sweep thru email during second cup of coffee; check news, check blog stats, open Face Book. Leave FB open to hear notifications of liking or commenting or sharing something or somebody on the opposite side of the planet. Wash the morning dishes while attempting to ignore two or more FB notifications. Check FB to see what the notifications were, sweep email accounts again, check stats on my blog, and check two other blogs which I follow (Paul Krugman, Moyers and Company) to read latest postings or recommended sites. Make lunch: Pacifico-guacamole, Pacifico-Mexican seasoned peanuts, or the low-cal version, just a Pacifico. Return to laptop and repeat the morning protocols. At the arrival of 2:30 p.m. sharp; I open Skype, alter my status to “Do not disturb” and engage in my siesta. Back on the move at 4p.m. sweep accounts, check stats, and scan worldly events transpiring in the past ninety minutes. Feed Nikki, feed me, either in-house or out-house, Skype the wife, pull up Netflix and retire for the evening after making coffee for the following morning. This is my life. Now for four days, everything between my second cup of coffee and feed Nikki vanishes.

What occurs during this now vacuous eight hour block? ? ? ? ? ?  ?  I retrieve a National Geographic book on photography which I had not touched in eight weeks; I give the house a thorough cleaning. I give Nikki a bath, trim her nails and medicate her skin; I practice my guitar for the first time in five months; I put my camera in my pocket whenever I depart and photograph (or do people say “pix” these days?) scenes which complement the children’s series I am writing. I re-learn the numbers from 2 to 9; before my life was beseiged by 0s and 1s. I experience the liberation of Andy Dufresne in ShawShank Redemption. (ok, that’s a bit over the top)

Much is published recently regarding establishing home No Device Zones or No Device Times. This great French video clip poignantly and pictorially addresses this issue (http://www.youtube.com/embed/V_gOZDWQj3Q?rel=0). Give it some thought.  Who knows what you might discover? “Don’t cost nothing.” (John Belushi, Animal House) Oh yes, thank you Emma!

Commercial Break

BRING SAND!!!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment